A Day to Remember

It is Remembrance Day, a day I think is sometimes over looked by some of us. I know that I actually never attended a Remembrance Day service until I was...24 I think. I went to my first service with my husband and a very good friend of mine in a large city about an hour and a half away from our home. (Think is was also an excuse to get out of town for a little sanity break) but I remember being so moved by the service especially because this city has an army base and serving soldier were a part of the service. I have no idea what it is like to have someone close to me sacrificing their lives for others freedom. War is still so removed from my world, just as it is for most of us, but it is beginning to get closer to home as we are now honouring new fallen soldiers who have bravely fought for freedom.

I am sometimes angered by people who complain about our role in helping other nations find freedom. People who think that we should just leave the rest of the world to handle its own problems, can you imagine what the world would be like if that had happened during WWI and WWII. Yes, war is unbelievably terrible but so is oppression. Because we live in a very peaceful, safe country we have no idea what it is like to live in oppression and political turmoil. So how can we deny other the peace we just take for granted. Anyway I should stop there or it will get me on a roll about people who complain about corruption in our political system :)

But in truth I just wanted to comment today about how important it has become to me to take my children to the Remembrance Day service here in our little town, even though they don't understand, so that one day I can teach them how to show their respect for those who have helped to protect the freedom and rights that they have and that others wish to have.

Today we remember the sacrifice these men and women so willingly made and I am humbled that I so often take for granted what so many others dream of.

Today I Remember

Comments

Popular Posts