A Day to Grow

Post writing Take 2!

 Yes, as I thought finding time to write this blog is hard. I mean the first one was pretty easy but since then every time I think I will be able to sit down and write someone cries or drives a car over my keyboard while I am trying to type. Then when I do sit down there always feels like I have too much to write about.

This weekend we had a party for my son's 2nd birthday. Nothing big was planned for the party but I spent three days making his cake. I know, I know, but it was my first try at decorating with fondant and it takes a while to make and get the hang of. I was really happy with the result of my first try at decorating. I had to get my husband to cut the cake because I couldn't bring myself cut up my labour of love :) When everyone had gone home and the kids were ready for bed I was watching my son play with his new remote car he got and I saw again how fast they grow up. I know he is only 2 but all he is going to keep doing is getting older. I have realized that I am one of those mothers who is a bit clingy, I have a love/hate relationship with watching my children grow. I love that they are growing and getting stronger and learning new things, but I hate that every step they take in maturing means they need me less and less. Don't get me wrong I don't want my son to be 35 and still living at home, babied by mommy. (My husband would never allow this anyway) But this journey of parenting is a path of continual surrender and letting go.

Any of you who know me know that change is not one of my strong points and watching my little boy grow and become independent makes me proud but it also makes me sad, I don't want to lose that bond I have with him. But as I was typing this I started to think of my own mom, who is a wonderful, beautiful woman. Our relationship has changed over the years but as I look at it, it is different from when I was a child but I think it has become stronger. There is such a special place in my heart for my mom. I love, admire and appreciate her so much, that it would be such a blessing to have my children feel the same way about me. So no, I guess watching them grow is not such a terrible thing when put into perspective, as long as I continue to cultivate love and respect into them.

This is not at all how I initially planned for this post to come out, but those are often the best ones.
But now that I have  a crying child on my lap I should sign off. We never know what the next day will teach us but today I will remember that change, although difficult, often allows God to bring new blessings and appreciation for His faithfulness.

Today I am grateful - Thanks mom for growing into my friend and teaching me so much.

Comments

Popular Posts