A Typical Day

A typical day in our house can mean many things, but as every household knows there usually gets to be a routine that you follow because we are creatures of habit, and children are no exception to the rule I even think they are one of the main reasons for it. Our typical day usually contains lots of play time, a walk to get the mail, maybe a timeout, a nap and one or several viewings of either Cars, Monsters Inc, or Veggietales (usually when mom is trying to make supper). And this brings me my purpose for writing today: the one thing that I do everyday that just never ends and I find that most tiring to do. No it is not cleaning up the endless pile of toys and laundry, no it is not changing diapers even though I change many of a them with two kids. No, it is making meals and feeding my family. This is the one chore I do that is just never ends and I find draining, not to mention what makes dirty diapers :).

Now don't get me wrong I love to cook and bake but it is the endless repetition of it that makes me lose my creativity and spark. Like I said a typical day - Get up, make sure my son gets breakfast, maybe make my husbands lunch...if I am feeling sorry for him...clean up breakfast, then comes the mid morning snack, after a nap comes lunch and while cleaning up from that trying to figure out what to take out for supper, while planning supper or perhaps making bread (my son breaks out in eczema if he eats store bought bread) there is usually another snack so that we don't have a melt down from a hungry little boy before supper is ready. Eventually supper is made and sometimes cleaned up and by then I am done with the kitchen, which is usually a mess even if I have just cleaned it earlier in the day. Throw in there several sit down sessions with the little one nursing (she is probably the easiest one to feed because I never have to think about what I am going to feed her it is all ready there and there is no prep or clean up) Meals would probably be easier if I wasn't always trying to make sure we are eating somewhat healthy, and making something my 2 year old will actually eat. 

As I was pondering all this yesterday I began to notice some of my sons quirks. He has quite a good  grasp of the english language, at least when it comes to hearing it but using it is still lacking at times. So if was funny to watch as he was trying to get his dad to understand what is was that he wanted. I am with him everyday I can usually decipher his gibberish and hand signals. And heaven forbid if you happen to get it wrong and pick up something that he doesn't want, you definitely understand his displeasure. I mean "How could you possible not know what I want and was asking for!!!!" When his dad did figure out what it was he wanted he has a preference on how he gets his snack. You can't take the snack out of the wrapper for him, only open it an let him go from there. He will refuse to eat it if you hand it to him out of the package. He also knows how to get his point across about going outside. If he decides it is time to be outside he finds his fathers shoes takes them to him and proceeds to remove his slippers as to facilitate the putting on of shoes :) That one is pretty hard to miss the point of. 

So most days are spent feeding and deciphering a 2 year old little boy but the deciphering doesn't stop with him as the cries of his sister are in need of translation as well, but we will leave that for another post. Today is just another typical day in our household, snack has just been handed out and nap time is looming....oh what to have for lunch?? and what to make for supper?? The circle just never ends *sigh*.
Today - just another day

Comments

  1. Oh, how I understand! Michaela insists on eating like a big girl...still refusing to be spoon fed, unless it is applesauce. The mess in and around her high chair never ends. Oh well...our children are well-fed, and will reap the rewards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts