A Chilly Day and Long Weekend

Well I made it through the last couple days...I am not sure how but I made it. The kids and I made it out of the house for the first time since Wednesday. They 2 year old kindly contracted a stomach bad which left me cleaning up puke Wednesday night and nursing a sick, tired little boy Thursday. Then I was not feeling well Friday night and Saturday and woke up with a massive headache this morning. Not to mention the lack of sleep for all of those days due to one child being sick and that other deciding she needs to see me and be comforted several times during the night. There are several factors adding to this I am sure as our schedule is slightly altered lately.  A friend and her little one have been here over the weekend and it has been a wonderful visit watching our kids play together, but as she will agree it reeks havoc on and normal routine. The other factor is that my husband started a new job this week which now has him on a 10 and 4 shift and we are used to having him at home most every weekend. He is still home in the evenings but it makes the weekend feel like weekdays. Not to mention this week the weather really plummeted. I expect it to do that as I have lived in the this area my whole life but it came kinda suddenly and I now have to get used to bundling two little beings against the elements.

So needless to say from this long introduction we haven't been out of the house in a while and today when I was finally feel well enough to try venturing out, my husband had taken my car to work so I was without any car seats and was forced to remain at home, even with my friend made a trip into a nearby town for a Starbucks run and I am sure just to get out for a little while...not that I drive her crazy but I understand the need to get out and about and see different things. Not to mention there were 3 kids 2 and under in the house and all 3 of them are teething in some form or another...so I don't blame her for making and escape :) But even though I wished to go with her I had to stay home. So I got my littlest down for a nap (which she had been refusing all day) and took a little time for me, but as I was getting ready to take a quick shower I was given a not so subtle hint hint from my 2 year old that he wanted to go out side and he was being quite persistent. So being the wonderful mother I am, I decided I would do what he wanted and beside it had warmed up to a balmy -20 C it wouldn't be to bad.

The problem was by the time I got him all bundled up he was in tears (I am not sure why) and the little one was screaming (because she hates the snowsuit) and I am frustrated. Here I am trying to be a good mom and do what my son wanted to do, even though I would have preferred not to take them out at -20 and all I get are tears. But I had decided I had went through all the trouble of getting everyone ready we were going out tears or no tears. So away we go in our John Deer wagon down the sidewalk, off to the post office which is about 3 blocks from our house. The 2 year old tired walking a few times, as the tears had since ceased, but it is quite difficult with a snow suit and such short legs, but he is fun to watch. He is unable to stand back up on his own when he falls...which happens quite often, and when he decided he was done walking he just plopped himself on the ground beside the wagon until I caught on and put him beside his sister. It actually turned out to be a pleasant outing even though it was chilly, but I think the fresh air did us all good.

We got home and the little one had fallen asleep finally so I left her in the carseat and started getting supper ready. While I was doing this I accidentally dropped the bowl of olive oil and herbs I had meant to use to season the chicken on the the ground, making quite a mess. I left it thinking I would clean it up in a minute when all of a sudden I see little person head straight for the mess. I am half way through giving my son heck for playing in the mess, when I actually look and see that he had gotten off his chair and had grabbed the dish cloth that had been on the table and was trying to clean up the mess on the floor. I immediately began praising him and thanking him for his help and off he went to find something else to do. And this got me thinking about how often I lose patience or get frustrated without understanding the whole story or seeing the whole picture. As I think back now of the incident I am brought to tears by the fact that my 2 year old son who just hours before had me frustrated because he was crying about a snowsuit  and days before exhausted from a stomach flu, noticed my need and tried to help. I honestly feel so proud of him right now! And I am reminded of something our pastor said a while ago when talking about patience being an attribute of love. And he asked us if we had been impatient with anyone recently and he pointed out that if we had been then we had not been showing love to that person because true Godly "love is patient." I think of how often I am impatient with my husband or with my kids and how my impatience do not show them that I love them...this is a very hard lesson, one I am not sure I will learn quickly but I pray I do. Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing to be about to show that kind of patient love to my family everyday. And today I was convicted that my first response was to give my son heck for playing in my mess when all he was trying to do was show me that he cared and wanted to to help. God forgive me for not being more patient and not taking the time to see the whole picture before reacting.

What a beautiful picture my son gave me today of  love and a willingness to help. Maybe tomorrow I will be more patient with him and return some of the love he showed me.
Today - was a trying day but turned into a learning day

Comments

  1. I am definitely going to fall asleep with the image of him helping you clean up!

    This is a really good reminder, Ash, and I appreciate you sharing it. This last week has not been so good for me patience-wise, which means I haven't been showing the love I'm supposed to.

    So thank you!

    And I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wished that you could have come with me on my Starbucks run!! I prayed for you the entire way, and I am glad that God redeemed your day. Yes, three teething little ones aged 2 and under was trying, and I know that hosting friends (no matter how excited you are to see them!)reeks havoc on your routine. But you are such an encouragement to me, Ashley, and I cherish the memories of our lazy days in our pajama pants looking after our little ones...with all of their tears, smiles and everything in between. :) I love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts