Wasn't Going to Blog Today

I wasn't going to blog today, as I am really tired and the typing seems to wake the little munchkin that sleeps in the room beside the computer up, but I had a few semi-insightful things to say.

I spent the majority of my day (well actually the last 3 days) working on a cake for a wedding reception for some friends who are getting married in the Dominican. Fondant can be a long process, especially if you are making flowers. But I do enjoy it once in a while. I don't think I would want to be making cakes every week, but once in a while it is really fun and I think one of the only artistic out puts I have. I have never really been an aritistic person, I usually just surround myself with them...I have a friend I grew up with who was great at drawing...at least she was always much better then me, I have another friend who is an amazing writer and just has a way with words....actually I can think of two of my friends who have a gift of the pen, and I have my husband who can draw, builds things with his hands for a living and has quite a way with words...although his gift is often in speech. I have always complained that there were lots of things I could do but there never seemed to be anything that I could say I excelled at. I just have never found my niche. Now I am not saying that cake decorating is, but it is at least something I am proud of...my whole 2 cakes that I have done.

But that was my day, icing and layering, fondanting and decorating a cake with breaks of caring for my children when needed. As a result of this day my house is in desperate need of attention. It really is unreasonable. Looks like next weeks task will be a major house clean. And trying to make up for the time I spent on a cake and not with my kids. They are feeling a little forgotten I think, but I have been doing all this on my own as my husband is on shift and has been working later this week and tonight got a call to head out to fix a heater in a machine just across the border, in my home town actually. So here I am alone trying to finish a cake but it was a great day the kids pretty much napped in rotation...unheard of I know! So I really only had to worry about one of them at a time. God's grace I am sure!

Another reason I decided that I should blog tonight is because my husband was away. He admitted to me the other day that the clacking of the keyboard when I am blogging bothers him, or he said it could be that I was more interested in communicating with the faceless entity of the internet then him. And I quickly reminded him of all the wonderful people who actually read my blog...they weren't faceless...all 2 of you :) Anyway I informed him that that is often how I feel about him and his books. He loves to read and there are times, I tell you, that I wish I could take the book that is consuming so much of his time and attention and hit him in the face with it...so at least we both admit that there are things that bother us :) and we feel neglected by. So this is why tonight was an opportune night to blog.

I did have a moment today of thankfulness, once again realizing just how blessed I am and how much I have in my life to be grateful for. There is a song by Jason McCoy "I'd still have everything" and he sings about how everything in life is replaceable except his wife and how if all he had was gone except her he'd still have everything. I know sappy, but it just reminded me again how much I really have - Peace in my heart, love in my arms and a warm place to sleep!
I think this a good place to sign off for today. Goodnight all! Bless you and take a moment to be thankful for what you have!

"Blogging isn't writing, it's just graffiti with punctuation." - Contagion (movie) Thought that was a funny quote :)

Comments

  1. I made my first (maybe last, who knows!) fondant cake last week and decided that there is some secret that I am missing. Everyone said it looked fine, but that's because I covered the bottom in a ribbon of grass. HA! Anyways, yours looked so beautiful.

    I laughed when I read that you wanted to hit him in the face with a book sometimes. I can feel the same way, though not with books, with our TV. Which might get me into some trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, the internet if my fondant making friend (and I have a couple friends who make cakes too who I ask lots of questions) there are tons of tutorials, so if you try again the secret is out there :)

    And as far as the tv goes maybe we need to find a less drastic way of getting their attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I was so impressed (and jealous) when I saw your cake... absolutely breathtaking, Ash! Loved it!

    Secondly, I think you are quite a talented woman (I seem to recall constantly feeling inferior to you and all of your skills).

    I love you and miss you... and look forward to the day when you can make me a cake!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts