It's Been A Day

It's Wednesday, nothing special just Wednesday, but it was a day. You know the days you have that feel like several days when you look back on them. And for some reason I was feeling like I never got anything done today...hmm, maybe I should have more days when I get nothing done.

I have been sick the last few days, nothing too bad just a sore throat, tight chest and today, a stuffy head. So it was a good thing I decided to just stay at home and rest?? hmm maybe I forgot the rest part. I guess I was resting when while the children slept I discovered Pinterest. Ok whoever came up with this idea is brilliant and should be shot. Do you know how much time stay at home moms can waste on that site...all the amazing things we can see and find without ever leaving the office chair...*sigh*! It is just the beginning for me, but I know this new discovery can either be blessing or a curse...we shall see which in the coming days.

Then we carry on to the day with making some bread and sugar cookies. I have being working on my Christmas baking little by little and trying not to eat it as fast as I am making it. I finally had to put some of it in the freezer because I am supposed to be making trays to give away, but my supply kept dwindling. But anyway in between trying to get my bread together, my son kept insisting that he needed me to supervise his block playing and that supervision could not be done from 5 feet away it must be done on the floor beside him. The problem was that he was driving his trucks on the blocks laid out on the floor but if he bumped a block out of place he was devastated and the damage had to be repaired...by me. I don't think he is feeling 100% either so everything is a little more "end of the worldish" when he isn't feeling well. 

Meanwhile the 5 month old was quite content to be laying on the kitchen floor with no diaper on (laying on blankets just in case you think I might be a bad mother ) this is her favorite way to be because it make chewing on toes so much easier :) 

Then the laundry got finished, except for the jeans that are sitting in the dryer...but honestly it will probably take me a few days to get to them, it always happens with the last load I just run out of enthusiasm...if you can have enthusiasm for laundry. But the trick was folding laundry with two children sitting on your lap...this is quite a feat I can tell you. The little one was done lying on the floor and wanted to be held and I think the 2 year old has just decided that if his sister is getting attention he should get more. So as she sat quietly in my lap playing with her toy, he had to climb on top of me and her to wrap his arms around my neck and make sure that he wasn't missing out on any of the love.

 *Insert* bouts of crying from both children. 

One down to sleep, the other watching T.V. and getting up once in a while to see if I have changed my mind on letting him have more treats before supper. He was hungry but that could have been because all he ate from lunch was as few m&ms and a yogurt (not that I didn't offer him more, once again I don't want you thinking ill of me).

During supper the 2 year old managed to eat most of his plate but he also managed to hide a few peas under a lid. He was quite proud of himself and had to show off how well he could hide his food...we will work on his sneaky skill or maybe not. After supper he helped me cut out the sugar cookies I had made earlier...well actually he just smashed the dough with the cookie cutters and ate the dough but I think a good time was had by all. 
This is one mommy skill I am working on and that is letting my little one help even when it is really no help, production wise, at all. I am a person who likes to get things done and I have had to learn that sometimes with kids you just need to set aside the project and focus on the person. I will admit this is something I struggle with daily. I have a hard time setting aside the things I am trying to accomplish to sit on the floor and play. Play is a good thing, but I so often find myself trying to turn play into work, which sometimes is good, but there are other times when the dishes don't need to be done, the floor doesn't need to be swept and supper can wait 30 minutes to give my children my undivided attention and just PLAY. This is just very difficult for me. Even though I know how important it is to them I seem to still struggle letting go of all the things that I feel need to be done. As I write I am thinking that is probably why I struggle with sitting down and devoting specific time to my devotions as well. 

Well I suppose I have found a new self improvement project :) We shall see how it goes.

Today: Really was a good day, I just wish I felt better...maybe I should have rested...sigh* there is always tomorrow :)

Comments

  1. I have a confession to make, and it's going to sound weird no matter how I try to word it. You are one of those moms that I look at and go, "Wow- she's got it together. She somehow manages to keep her kitchen clean and be a great mom all at the same time." Meanwhile, I'd rather snuggle my baby than unload the dishwasher, and the mountain of clean, unfolded laundry on the guest bed grows daily until I can't handle it anymore. If we could somehow morph into one person, we'd be unstoppable! We'd be the deluxe model of a stay-at-home mom!

    In all seriousness, I'm learning that when I give God what is His, He provides exactly what I need. If it applies to money, it must apply to time, too! I'm struggling with the fact that the best way to get my Jesus time is to get up an hour before Michaela does...this is not easy to do when she doesn't sleep through the night. But I did it the other day, and I found that by the time she woke up, I was happy to see her and give her the time she needed as I had already had the Jesus time that I needed. It's going to be a tough habit to get into, but very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle the same with setting thing aside and giving my attention wholeheartedly to my kids or God.

    And I'm right there with you on Pinterest. Hate it yet love it. What's a girl to do?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts