The Day Before Christmas

Sitting here the morning of Christmas eve looking back over this week and the excitement leading up to  the special celebration we call Christmas. I really do enjoy this time of year and I know my 2 year old isn't quite old enough to understand what is coming tomorrow but it is still fun.
But here I sit trying to learn how to type with nails (I decided I wanted nice nails for Christmas so I will suffer through the feeling that my nails can't breathe) and the gentle pull of curlers in my hair. This look has prompted several comments from my husband, at one point saying I looked like Medusa :) But I informed him last night as I was playing Super Mario Bros at 1 am (family tradition to play way too much Nintendo over Christmas)  that my curlers gave me super powers!! They do!! I am sure of it; however, I will take them out before I go out in public, unlike my wonderful Grandmother.

The kids have actually been well behaved that last few weeks, even with the long shopping days in town trying to get everywhere I needed to and then an impromptu trip to my home town an hour away to see a few friends quickly before Christmas (which I had a blast doing) but the late nights at Grandmas always takes a toll on us. Apparently my family goes nocturnal when we are around each other, this is something I never noticed until I married a man who loves to sleep!
But the kids have handled it all really well. But last night as I was trying to soothe my crying baby to sleep I realized something that I really have a hard time handling. As my little one was crying in my arms she has also started to fling on arm in the air and then claw her little fingers on my face, no I am pretty sure it is not a loving gesture but I gesture of frustration on her part but mixed with the wailing it is just  something I cannot handle hence swaddling is essential. On the most part she is quite lovely but I think this is one of the first things I have found that are like those 'nails on a chalkboard' moments for me.

Have I mentioned my sons electronic addiction? Yup iPhone, movies, and now the Wii they create many a tantrum in a day. Not using them the fact that mom and dad have the audacity to actually say No!  It really is quite traumatic for him and he's 2. What has happened to our world? Needless to say he is not getting any electronics from us. I can't guaranteeing anything from my brother though.

But yes it is Christmas eve now that I have randomly talked about everything. Today should be fairly quiet. We head to my in-laws around 4, but until then it should be a quiet day at home, I think that's a good way to begin the Christmas festivities. I have really enjoy the fact that this year that Christmas isn't sneaking up on me. It bothers me when I don't get to enjoy the Christmas feeling before Christmas comes and goes. The year I feel like I have been able to prepare and enjoy Christmas and the anticipation without a ton of stress. We did manage to have a little Christmas party at our place Thursday night, and seems that was the only Christmas meal I have to prepare this year it was nice to do my thing and serve other people. I always enjoy the fact that there is so much fellowship this time of year, you get to sit and laugh and talk and of course play games...electronic or otherwise :) I am looking forward to tomorrow and today, and going to church on Christmas day. I really enjoy going to church on Christmas day I feel like, after opening presents, it keeps things in perspective and I can celebrate God and the birth of Jesus purposefully, it doesn't get forgotten in the rush of presents and food and the general lack of sleep I feel. It is time I can set aside to say "God this day is still all about you and the bridge you create between heaven and earth by sending your Son"

So however you are celebrating this holiday please enjoy it! This is the one holiday that the majority of people celebrate and I enjoy that. So we look past the consumerism and take this time to celebrate out families and friends and the birth of our Savior! Take your time and enjoy every moment, savor the sights and smells, and laugh...lots!!
God Bless you all and have a Very Merry Christmas from our family to yours!!
  

Comments

Popular Posts