Thoughts For A Dear Friend

We all have those friends that we have known our whole life, the ones we grew up from diapers with and now change our own kids diapers with.
Then we have friends that we met during our school days who we giggled and cried with and still giggle and cry with when we get the opportunity to actually see each other.
And then we have those friendships we wandered into as young adults...the ones we never expected to to find, the ones that we thank God for because they were there right when you were lonely and needed someone the most to walk beside you, hold your hand and pray with you.

I have one such friend and today is her birthday! I have been thinking of her today as we no longer live close and it makes me sad that I do not get to see her very often especially on a special day like a birthday. A day that we set aside to celebrate someones life, so that is why I have decided to write about her today. We met only 8 years ago in bible college, I don't think we knew what to do with each other our first year...we hung out because of a mutual friend, but the depth of our relationship didn't reveal itself until second year when we were placed in a leadership role together. Since that year we have gone through many things, too many to name here. I am so blessed by her, more then she knows I am sure. We spent our last year of college in dorm rooms right beside each other, and as the only girls in our class we offered each other a lot of needed support. That support would often be seen at about 11pm, both of us bleary eyed from staring at books of computers screens for hours, one of us would wander into the others room and we would sit on our beds talking...usually for WAY longer then we planned. But every moment that we sat and talk, laughed, cried and prayed is precious to me. We also spent 2 years living in the same town after I got married and she continued to be a great sounding board and confidant. I miss going to her place for lunch, or heading out for coffee because my husband was working or just knowing if I showed up at the church where she worked there would be a chair waiting for me to sit down and chat.

I was so blessed to have her in my life and to share so many important moments with her. I never had a sister growing up, she has several (something I always envied her for..sshhh!) in so many ways she is like a sister to me. I know I will never be able to replace her sisters but she sure has that place in my heart. She has taught me so much over the years by her quiet gentleness and her earnest desire to do God's will. She has such a soft heart and a desire to see change come to the world around her. I have watched her face challenges yet she still reaches for God when many of us would have given up. I love the way she honestly cares for the people around her.

Time passes and I know that she is changing and growing and it is hard knowing that she is going to be different from the woman I met 8 years ago and moved away from over 2 years ago. Hard because I feel like I am missing out. She probably feels the same way so all we can do it talk when we can, get together when either of us make the daunting trip :) and continue to care.

My dear friend bless you this day and in the year to come. I wish you nothing but the best for your life and all that lies ahead for you. You are sure a wonderful person and so dear to my heart. I am looking forward to our next chat and our next meeting.

Thank-you for being my friend!

Comments

Popular Posts