Contemplating our Heroes

HERO: a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Where to start...Today we were honored to celebrate with my brother 1 year of sobriety. I will be honest, in the past there were times where I never believed this day would come. There were days where I wouldn't have believed that I cared this much for him again or missed him so much when he is away. But this day I want to recognize him as a hero.  


Not because he is perfect (he would be the first to tell you he is  ****ed up) but 
Because of the courage I have seen him exhibit (no day is an easy day in recovery)  Because this is an outstanding achievement (moment by moment) Because I see the changes and those noble qualities shining through the rough exterior, I see it. 

You may see him walking down the street or him and I possibly grabbing a coffee together (we do that A LOT) and he may seen like just a normal guy to you. But let me tell you he's not. He's my hero. He has a heart of gold and a will of steel. 
He's still a jerk sometimes (especially when we are competing) but I love him anyway. 
When someone like him has made the tough choices and day by day, moment by moment struggle, they need a little recognition. We never know what the future will hold but today we celebrate a victory and a million choices made moment by moment to find a better way. 

I am so thankful that we never gave up on him. That we never stopped loving him. Hold on to hope, even the most unlikely person can change.

I love that you are a part of our lives John! We are with you - one day at a time- one step at a time! 💓 


“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” 
― Albert Einstein


Comments

Popular Posts