That Thing You Do...

Happy New Year! Well we have a had a pretty rough start to 2015, which kicked off with a sick, not sleeping 5 month old and a puking 3 year old all day New Years Eve. This lead to an early bed time for all and peaceful slumber through the big event of a new year rolling in...that is at least until one of the sick children started to cry.

And if you have ever had a puking child before you know that nothing can get you out of bed, down the stairs and bucket in hand faster then the slightest cry or whimper from that child in the middle of the night.

So it has been rough. The flu raged though our house this year each kid getting it 2 days after the other creating over a week and a half of suffering for this mom and dad, not to mention fighting sickness ourselves. So we finished off our holidays in a sick and sleepless blur and my poor husband has been back at work for 3 days and has already accumulated over 20 hours of overtime...ugh.

But here is where we get to the point of the this story. In the midst of having sick kids my 3 year old happens to be way beyond miserable when she isn't feeling well. For 3 days I had to sit with her on my lap cuddling or else she would break down in tears and sob, and heaven forbid dad or grandma offer to give her comfort or bring her a drink while I was taking care of the baby or even worse using the washroom - "No, I want Mommy!" I was getting extremely tired of hearing the word "mommy". Things only got worse for the poor little tyrant when we took her to the doctor (my husband had to hold her down so the doctor could look in her ears and mouth) and she had an ear infection and swollen tonsils - here begins the 2 day fight to get her to take her medicine. There was a moment during all of this where all of my compassion and sympathy for this child had reach its end. I no longer felt that I liked my own child. We were both miserable.

Then a read a blog post from one of my close friends today and she made a comment about her husband commenting on something about her that he liked, and this got me thinking about how often we do that. When was the last time we told someone "I like that about you!" Something we noticed, something we appreciate, a unique talent or pattern of thought. When we the last time someone else told you the same thing. My friend mentioned how it made her feel to have her husband acknowledge and "like" something about her that she often times feels makes her "odd". And don't get me wrong she is odd but in a beautiful way only she can be odd. :)

I like that my husband is reliable and honest. I know that I can trust what he tells me (when he finally opens up) and I know that he is dependable...this can lead to him being a crazy workaholic but it also means he is not going to quit or walk away from something hard.

From here I began to think of the beautiful 3 foot tall blond who has a mind of her own and listening powers that only work when she decides. What is it that I like about her? When was the last time I told her? I want her to grow up hearing not only how much I love her but also how much I appreciate and love the things about her that make her unique. The things that give her spark and make her glow.

So there you have it a little challenge for us all. Find someone and let them know what it is you like about them, it will probably mean a lot!

Comments

Popular Posts