Internet "Research"

Here is just something I have been pondering as a of late.
(Disclaimer: Please understand that this post is merely observations and opinion and it is not meant offend or accuse anyone.)

Should the internet really be considered a viable avenue for research. Here is my reason for this question:
Anyone can post about an issue on the internet. It does not have to go through editors or publishers but it is simply put out there for people to read. There are so many articles and forums filled with nothing but people opinions and sometimes uneducated answers. There is so much "information" out there on so many topics that I find it confusing and frustrating. Here are a few examples of topics I find particularly annoying.

Parenting:  "Oy!" There is so much parenting "advice" available on the internet, sucking in unsuspecting parents or soon to be parents who have no idea how to raise these little people and who are looking for some answer to their current problem, so they turn to the internet and "google it". Trying to find out what others have done in their situation and they may stubble across a few legitimate sites with well known and respected leaders in this field but they will also ultimately wander into the forums and blogs written by anyone and usually only the people who are opinionated and willing to speak their mind (we are not always reliable sources as I can be one of these people) I however, don't expect you to take the things I say on this blog and make a life direction out of it, it is simply my musings. It does, however; seem difficult these days for people to be able to differentiate between reliable writers and researchers and Joe who lives down the street but knows, and will amendment state in his blog, that if you don't potty train your child before 2 they will be emotionally scared for life. I also have a friend who mentioned she was on a site that matched you with other parents who had kids born in the same month as yours. And in reading these posts from other moms she began to doubt her child's development as these other kids were reading and quoting Shakespeare at 22 months. Ok so that was exaggerating a little but the effect was the same. We think we are doing ourselves a favour by doing all this "research" but are we? Are we looking in the right places for information? Gone are the days that we pick up a book and look for answers or go to a professional and ask them what they think on the subject...no we love the quick response the fast answer "google" provides.

And I am just as guilty as the next person. It is so handy to be able to look something up so quickly but I don't know if we are always getting it right. Are we really researching or are we just taking someone else's opinion as gospel.

My next beef on internet research is with nutrition and fitness: I have given up trying to figure out what is the "right" way to do it anymore. "Don't eat carbs! Your body needs carbs! Don't eat meat! Only eat meat! Go homeopathic! Homeopathic is a load of bunk!" It goes on and on! No one has it completely figured out but I can bet you that someone out there is going to try to tell you that their way is the best and only way to do it! I have to admit I am a bit of a suspicious person and as soon as I hear that I have a tendency to run the other way :)  But someone will always tell you they have the next best thing!

Anyway I know this is just ranting...but it is my blog I can do that. All I am trying to say is "Don't be so hard on yourself" Stop comparing yourself to the people you read on the internet that seem to have it all figured out and know how to make you better! You are doing a good job! Who cares if your kid drank out of a puddle or you don't eat everything raw and organic. Give yourself a break. Do the best you can with what you have been given. ( Warning: personal opinion coming!) I don't think that spending the extra money on organic hippy raised tomatoes is wise or beneficial to your family, no matter how healthy it is, if your budget can't afford it. Do the best you can. Fear mongering is rampant on the internet so take what you read with a grain of salt. Use wisdom not fear to help you make the decisions that are best for you and best for your family. And remember if you can't be that mom who gave up yelling at her kids, it is ok, you are not a failure; I am sure they know you love them but give them an extra hug tomorrow and remind them how special they are to you! I have no doubt that they will love you back whether or not they were potty trained by 2 or eat organic apples! :)


Comments

Popular Posts