Just Need To Remind Myself

*sigh* Does anyone else out there sometimes feel like motherhood is harder then you expected? It is a lot of work to stay at home and keep kids happy, clean and content; not to mention keep some sort of order in your house. Some women seem to effortlessly float through motherhood (this may not be true but they look like it and sometimes I feel like a lesser citizen because its not me)  They always have time and patience for crafts, their kids are involved in soccer, swimming lessons and not to mention school (or preschool). Dinner is always ready on time (not to mention it is always healthy!) and when everyone is nicely tucked into bed, bathed, teeth brushed and stories read they should have lots of energy to spend time with their husbands or take care of other projects or crafts and their homes are filled with tons of DIY's.
This is NOT my life. I love being a mom. My kids are amazing but I just had a little reminder today of the challenges to deal with little people who aren't logical, can't feed themselves or use the bathroom without prompting or help. A reminder of how messy motherhood really is. (Stop reading now if poop stories bother you!)
We have been working, slowly but surely, with Zach on potty training. He is just starting to get it, but it means I have to be consistent and pay attention because he doesn't usually ask to use the potty, I have to remind him still. So we made it through most of the day but I noticed him kind of wandering aimlessly and when I checked I found a surprise in his pants. So I got him cleaned up (he had just gone so it wasn't too smeared) when Nadiya woke up from her nap. She has also been getting interested in this potty thing and so I have been letting her use the potty too with some success. After she got up she was pointing and saying "bum" and I have found that this is her indicator, so out comes the potty. I couldn't get her to stay on the potty in the bathroom but I knew if I put a new diaper on her she was just going to poop, so the potty got moved to the living room in front of the tv. Worked like a charm, she stayed sitting! Nothing happened so I left the room for a moment. That is when I heard her grunting and then she came to me to proclaim her victory.
I have to say I was feeling a little pleased with myself that my daughter was starting to get this potty concept and hey, one less diaper to change...this was until I walked into the living room to see that her results were less impressive then I had expected. Apparently she thought the potty too restrictive to her mode of pooping and had made a nice little pile right IN FRONT of the potty! on my carpet! YUCK! I just kind of chuckled to myself (not a typical response but really what could I do?) and cleaned up the floor and the little girl who had still managed to smear poop down her leg. (I think I actually use more wipes potty training than changing diapers just a random observation)
Yeah I know it's kind of gross but I just had to remind myself  1. that is was my fault I put the potty in the living room and walked away. 2. They are still young and have much to learn and I have the joy of teaching them and 3. Sometimes we need a deep breath and a reminder that motherhood doesn't have to be perfect to be rewarding.

No I don't always have it together. Meals aren't always made on time and totally organic, my house isn't always clean, my kids thrown fits and sometimes poop ends up on the floor.
There really is no lesson here, other then to say that you don't have to have it all together, no ones life is perfect or completely in control no matter how it looks from the outside. So take a deep breath and remember  you are doing a good job and these little people love you even if they can't say it! They are just a lot of work!

Comments

Popular Posts